Skylights in the Poconos
Skylights installed by PA home Improvements add value to homes, and helps them sell faster. A good skylight adds light, spaciousness, and value to a home, but a badly made or poorly placed skylight can drain a house of warmth, introduce unwanted glare and heat, and create a leak risk. Manufacturers and designers have worked hard to address the anxiety many builders have over punching windows into a roof.
- NAHB research reveals that 55% of new homeowners rate skylights as desirable or essential.
- Shrinking lots are forcing larger homes closer together with less privacy.
- Installing a roof or tubular skylight instead of the traditional kitchen or bathroom window brings in light without giving homeowners views into each others homes.
- Adding skylights can help reduce energy costs and provide natural sunlight instead of turning on lights to illuminate a room.There are new products on the market that are less expensive, more practical, and easier to install. Velux Skylights will be offering an electronically tintable skylight using electrochromic glass, which allows for remote control of the amount of light and heat that enters a room. Homeowners can quickly vary the tint to limit the heat gain and reduce glare, adding both to comfort and energy savings.
- Many skylight manufacturers are offering “out of the box” solutions, such as Velux’s VSE electric venting skylight. It comes with an upgraded, pre-installed mounting bracket that allows roof mounting with nails instead of screws, making it quicker for the installer—and less chance for problems later on.
NEW The VELUX deck mounted product family is now designated The No Leak Skylight. It carries the new 10-year installation warranty plus 20 years on glass, 10 years on product, and five years on blinds and controls. Features include 3 layers of water protection – advanced LoE3 glass for better energy efficiency, higher visible light transmittance, and improved solar heat gain performance – money-saving pre-finished white frames and sashes – pre-mounted brackets for quick installation of sunscreen blinds – lower roof profile with an updated curved architectural design – and a neutral gray color to blend with most roof materials and colors.
- Seventy-eight percent of new home buyers are asking for more light and more open and spacious rooms. Skylights can help create the illusion of bigger rooms.
Tubular skylights represent the fastest-growing segment of the skylight market, providing natural light in tight spaces like hallways, laundry rooms, and bathrooms. Solatube is now offering their 10- and 14-inch Solatube as an Energy Star-rated product. The dual-glazed diffuser helps reduce interior heat loss during winter and solar heat gain during the summer months.